August 15, 2010

The Final Countdown

So excited!  I get to see BOTH my boys in 4 hours and 38 minutes.  But who's counting...???  :-)

So, before I leave for the airport to pick them up, I thought I'd better hurry and get the rest of our vacation photos up.  You know, closing down this chapter and starting a new one!  So, I'll be light on words (y'all can thank me later!) and heavy on photos.

So after we deserted the RV resort from hell, we made our way to Durango, Colorado which I swear is a little slice of heaven dropped down to earth.  Scenery was beautiful, the town is charming, the RV resort we found was SO FRIENDLY, and there was even a pool for the kids.  The sad thing is, when making the original reservations I had narrowed it down to this one and Satan's playground.  Ah well... live and learn!

Anyway, we rode the Durango to Silverton old narrow-gauge railroad which was the highlight of the trip for all of us.  I have never been so enchanted in all my life.  The trip takes you high into the San Juan mountains to places that are only reachable by backpacking, helicopter, or the train.  Stunningly gorgeous does not even begin to describe it!

Beware - you never know what monsters lurk in the deep!
See that curve?  It was tight, and man was there a drop-off!
One of my favorite parts of the trip:  Because it's a steam engine, they have to do a "blow-down" at several stops along the way to clear out the minerals that are deposited in the bottom due to the water.  You also stop once each way to get more water, which is pumped up from the river in the valley below.  It was soooo cool!
For a reasonable price you could buy a souvenir coffee mug and have it refilled endlessly.  Here, I think Braden had consumed at least 3 coffees with caramel and whipped cream!
And here, the inevitable sugar-crash... :)
After a 3.5 hour train ride, we reached the old mining town of Silverton.  Here we had lunch, then wandered around taking in the sights. 
With all the cool, old buildings to see, Tom found an old Army vehicle to crawl around.  I don't believe there was a single square inch under, around, or on top that he didn't check over! This is not an uncommon theme for him... :)

No comments: