July 10, 2010

Where'd June go?

Wow, I CANNOT believe that it has been over a month since I posted something!  I had told myself I was going to quit doing that, and yet, here I am...

I must say that I haven't been totally ignoring my blog.  I think about writing and log in at least a few times a week, look at my bee-yoo-timous photo on the last post, then shut it down again.  June and July have been pretty busy months, as far as summer's go, but part of me (I'll be honest - a BIG part of me) has felt guilty for enjoying the summer since Evan's been gone to basic training.  It's not that I haven't missed him, because I have!  I think about him always, and pray for him constantly (I sometimes think I must sound like a persistent 2-year-old to God: "Dad, dad, dad, dad, dad..."  He hasn't barked at me in frustration yet, as I would, so it must be okay).  I stop what I'm doing about fifty times a day and wonder what he's doing at that exact moment, and I anxiously check the post office daily to see if there's been a new letter from him, which is truly a new experience for me because I loathe going to the post office - all it ever holds are money-sucking bills or umpteen subscription invitations to National Geographic. At least, I assume the letters are from him, although he never signs his name to them.  Apparently I forgot to teach him etiquette about letter-writing and the importance of signatures, or punctuation for that matter!  It's hell on my children having a mother who's an English major ;0)

Anyway, I know it's pretty silly to feel guilty, so I'm really going to try and get past it.  I keep telling myself, "Evan chose this path for himself, and I shouldn't short-change the memories the rest of us have made while he's been gone.  Next summer's going to be the same thing, with him going off to AIT training, so I'd better suck it up and get used to this "aging children" thing." Still, I never thought it would be this hard. Sigh...

So here's the quick version, and I'll fill in more details over the next few days or weeks, depending on the craziness in my life.

A few weeks after Evan left, we took off to southern Colorado for a week's vacation, visiting Arches National Park in Moab, then Mesa Verde and Durango in Colorado.  The weather was kind of spotty for most of the trip, but the two days that we went to Mesa Verde and Durango to spend the majority of the time outside, the weather couldn't have been more perfect!  There were some ups and downs to the trip, but overall it was great, and we definitely needed it.  I'll write more and post pictures in the coming days.

Shortly after returning, Tom found out about a "lease" of a camping space at a place up by Hardware Ranch, called the Lazy S Ranch.  This type of situation has always been a dream of his, so we went to check it out.  I knew he was a goner as soon as we got there, and I was right.  Two days later, we purchased our spot for the rest of the year (good until October 1) and I haven't seen him on a weekend since, although I know when he's been home by the aroma of mosquito-repellent soaked clothing that gets dumped in the laundry! It's a great place, but man are those bugs vicious...


There's a beautiful stream (full of fish) that flows through the whole ranch and right next to our spot...
And we even get the pleasure of owning our own outhouse...


What more could a guy want?  Doesn't he look happy and relaxed? He was actually snarling at me to quit taking his photo, but I caught him in a split-second where he looked like he was enjoying it :)


We all went up for the 4th of July weekend, including my two young cousins, Jeni and Aly.  I have to admit, it's a great place, and I don't remember when the last time was that I've felt so relaxed!  Unlike vacations, you can just sit and BE.  No rushing hither and yon to see the sights.  I literally spent an hour just sitting on the little bridge over the creek watching the play of light on the water, listening to it burbling over rocks, and listening to the sounds of birds (and mosquitoes!).  I read an entire book, laughed at the dogs, kids, and husband (not necessarily in that order) and worked on my cross-stitch, which I haven't picked up in months.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on the outlook), I had extra work to do this weekend, so I had to stay behind.  :(  Hopefully I'll get back up there in the next week or two...

Finally, for one of the most exciting things (to me anyways):  last week I had my first photography class!  I signed up for it months ago, shortly after buying my new DSLR camera, which I've been totally using as a point-and-shoot because - I'll admit it - I'm clueless about this camera.  The class meets once a week for 4 weeks, and I already learned so much the first day that I can hardly stand the wait for the next one.  Who knew apertures could be so fun?!  I've been busily doing my "homework,"  so here's a few shots to show what I've learned.  These are all completely on a manual setting, straight out of the camera (SOOC). 


And finally, a few of my favorite model!  She was a good sport because I paid her off with lunch at McDonald's and allowed her to get an iced coffee.  I love when children can be bribed :)



I promise to continue again soon...

No comments: