February 17, 2009

It can still make me cry

Years and years ago (roughly 17 to be exact) I was pregnant with my first child, Evan. One of the hit songs on the radio at that time was "Where've You Been?" by Kathy Mattea, who has always been a favorite of mine. During the emotional, hormone-laden days of my pregnancy, all it took was hearing the first three notes of that song and I would immediately burst into tears. I still remember the first time it happened. I was married to the ex at that time (obviously!) and I was sitting on the floor of our little apartment listening to the radio (just as a side note: I don't know why, but I have always liked to sit on the floor and I still do it. It just takes me longer to get up these days!). The above-mentioned song had barely begun playing when I burst into tears. Almost simultaneously, he came home from work and rushed to my side to see what was wrong. With tears literally streaming down my cheeks I sobbed while trying to tell him that I was crying because the song was so beautiful. I'm sure he thought I was a complete nut, but I remember just feeling so deeply touched by the words. I think that was the first time that I realized what weird things a child can do to you, both inside and later outside the body!

Kathy is still a favorite of mine, and tonight she just happened to be putting on a show at the theatre in town. Months ago, when I had heard that she was coming, I started finagling a way to see the show. The hubby is always too tired to go anywhere on a weeknight, so I knew that option was out, and I really didn't want to go alone. Fortunately, my friend Bonnie and I are always on the lookout for fun things to do and have been talking for six months or more about getting together to see something. The announcement about the concert came out during the Christmas break from work, and we both emailed each other the same day, almost the same time, to say "this is the one!"

Anyway, the show tonight was AWESOME!!! She has probably the world's most beautiful voice, and puts on a lovely, heart-touching show. And you know, that song still makes me cry!


February 17, 2009

No comments: