March 24, 2011

My cup runneth over...

Or  The Joy of Luck - Day 1.

"Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want,
but the realization of how much you already have." - Anonymous

I signed up for a free online photography class - one of those that doesn't really go in-depth on technical stuff, but more or less gives you prompts to get you to use your camera and to photograph all parts of your life. The prompt for the first day was to take pictures of things we take for granted.

Did I get out my camera and immediately start taking pictures of faucets with running water, or light bulbs? No and no. Pictures of my family or the roof over our heads? Nada... The puppy dogs with wagging tails? Well... yes, but not for this assignment.

For Day 1, I didn't take a single picture.

Now I know that we all are guilty of taking many things for granted, myself included, but I can honestly say that I am at a stage of my life where I feel so thankful and blessed beyond measure. There is not a day that goes by that I don't thank God for all He's given me: a marriage filled with love and friendship, kids who are full of life, spunk, and humor (yes, even the teenagers), our home, abundant food (even if I do have to cook, dang-it), a good job, health insurance, on and on and on it goes...

Events in our life the past few weeks have driven home to me just how incredibly blessed we are. I read the news about all that's going on in the world, and it's easy to get discouraged. If you watch TV for more than five minutes, or read the headlines, it seems that God is nowhere to be found.

But then.

But then I see God working diligently in the lives of those I love. Giving strength and peace to family members facing desperate illnesses... Helping a teen stand up for what is right, rather than what friends' say is "cool"... Meeting physical and financial needs... The list is endless.

And answering prayers whispered long ago...

 Happy "Love Thursday". <3

No comments: